August 21, 2008

Mojitos and the Canning of Beets for Mamma

My mother loves pickled beets. I don't so much, for I am more of a Borscht kind of woman myself, or even a shredded upon the scape of a salad sort. But I do love my mother and she is now too feeble to can and I can't stand the thought of her subsisting on whatever she gets packed in metal from The Wal-Mart and 'tis the season of her birthday and I have beets in the garden begging to be eaten and so. You get the idea.

This is stage 1. Sterilizing the cans and lids and making the mojito. Tune in a couple hours from now and I'll show you Step 2. Woo!


My mess of beets, fresh from the garden this morning and rinsed. But they still gotta be scrubbed!



The modern canner's tableaux: large canning pot, smaller pot to sterilize lids, and laptop with the instructions up!


The cans waiting to be boiled. This enameled pot takes ages to come to a boil!


And at last, the Mighty Mojito!


No comments: