September 6, 2007

Italtian! Our September Recipes

So confident am I that we are going to get multiple submissions this month that I am putting the plural right in the title. RecipeS. Ours. I know you're on the verge. -- Margaret

Italian Tomato Gravy -- Cheryl's First Recipe!

Okay, I'm actually going to do this one...I make great tomato "gravy." I make a big pot and freeze it in small containers to use throughout the week. It's very easy and doesn't take as much time as you'd think.

2 (large) cans Italian whole canned tomatoes (I use Scalfadi)


1 can Italian tomato paste (also scalfadi)

Fresh herbs: oregano, basil, parsley (I chop a couple of leaves each pretty wide)

1 small onion, chopped (you can also chop a whole big onion, use 1/2 and freeze to use the next time--if you want add a small clove of garlic; I can't eat garlic)

Salt

Pepper

Merlot (wine)

Romano cheese (grated)

Olive oil (a good one)

1. Get a big pot and heat up the oil with the fresh chopped herbs, salt and pepper). I use a good amount of salt to bring out the flavor.

2. When oil's hot, put in the chopped onion and saute until they're transparent and soft -- not brown. This alone will smell really good.

3. Add the whole canned tomatoes and paste and then use a potato masher to smush really good. In fact, I smush every time instead of stirring. Heat well and simmer for as long as you want but really, by the time you make the pasta it's ready (the paste thickens it up; if you don't have paste, then you really should simmer until it's nice and thick, and it can take all day).

4. Add the cheese and Merlot towards the end. If it's bland, then add a little more salt and cheese to taste.


No comments: