February 28, 2007

Janey's 30 Minute Beef and Black Bean Soup

I do want to share this recipe because it is so simple, tastes good and is hearty. It can be either vegatarian, turkey or beef. I made this for Nancy and Daddy. They loved it, and Nancy gave the recipe to her hair dresser who tailgates at Rams and Cardinal games. She has served it to that gang and they loved it - especially in the fall.

This recipe doesn't take the place of a slow cooked bean soup recipe -- that slow cooked flavor can't be beat -- but this is a good quick one.

Aunt Janey Meek

1 lb. coarse or chili-grind beef chuck (I use a regular ground 93% or lower fat beef).
1 (11 or 19 ounce) can black bean soup (I always use Progresso)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (I use 2 sometimes)
1 1/3 cup water
1 cup medium or hot chunky salsa

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup light sour cream
Fresh cilantro sprigs

1. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles.


2. Pour off the drippings.

3. Stir in the bean soup, beans, water and salsa. Bring to a boil (not a rolling boil), then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

4. Stir in the green onions.

5. Remove from heat. (The instruction "remove from heat" always makes me smile. Like you would leave it on the stove forever!)

6. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.

I do the green onions if I have them, the sour cream if I am trying to be fancy, and I don't keep cilantro. That would add a nice touch.

Makes 4 servings. Calories 510, Fat 23 g, Cholesterol 77 mg, Sodium 994 mg, Percent calories from fat 40%.


No comments: