I think your Dad would have liked this one...
2 cups dry black beans
2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
3 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons parsley
1/4 cup butter
1-2 cups chopped ham
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste
1 cup white wine
Sour cream for topping
Grated cheese for topping
Chopped green onions for topping
1. Place beans in enough water to cover entirely.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the beans.
3. Let soak for 2 hours and rinse.
4. Add water to cover and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and soak overnight (soda reduces the acid in the beans).
5. Rinse beans.
6. Cook beans in water in a large pan until soft, about 3-4 hours.
7. Saute onions, garlic, and parsley in butter, then add them to the beans.
8. Add the other ingredients.
9. Cook over medium to low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 more hours. Add water if it gets too thick.
10. Top with sour cream, grated cheese, and chopped green onions.
Yield: 10-15 servings.